It's only the first week?

It is hard to believe that this is only the first week of Research in Teaching Social Studies. I am also taking Science and Technology Methods this semester so I feel like my head is going to explode with all of this new information! This semester will definitely be a trial by error type of semester due to the fact I have never written one blog before, let alone two blogs for two different classes! Goodbye free time, hello library.

We started off the semester with four questions: 1. Close your eyes and picture a social studies classroom- what teacher comes to mind? 2. Three characteristics of a good social studies teacher 3. Finish the sentence: Social Studies is... 4. What are your goals for this class? Dr. Smirnova gave the class a few minutes to answer these questions individually, then in a group of two and then in two different groups. As a class, we found the we had very similar answers about how we perceived social studies. This activity really made me think about previous experiences that I had in social studies classes from elementary school through college. I reflected on what I loved, what I hated and how I could use the tools I am going to learn to engage my students in social studies.

One of the things I love about this class is how small it is! I will say, I quickly became terrified when Dr. Smirnova had originally stated that we would have to work alone to create our unit plans (seriously, mini heart attack) but thankfully, we are going to be working with partners. I have to thank my Uncle for getting married at the worse possible time in my semester, I am almost positive that I have not one but two unit plans due within the month of February between social studies and science methods. Needless to say, February will be a rather stressful time for me! Back on topic, the theme for this semester is "Every day is Earth Day" and my partner and I will be working with the theme of water pollution. This is a topic that I am very interested in and believe that there are many important social and economic lessons that can be taught to students. It is also an interesting topic because it is something that is happening locally, nationally and globally so we believe that it will really interest the students!

I can not believe that we start fieldwork in week 2! I am nervous but happy to dive in and start working right away with the students. I hope they like us because we do our big lesson next week! Well, wish me luck! It is going to be a crazy semester!

Comments