Greetings from Florida!



The best birthday ever! Disney World!
Photo Credit: Shane Mulcahy

Tampa, Florida
Hello from sunny Florida! Nothing like celebrating the finishing of the unit plan by a week and a half trip to Florida. Except it is insanely stressful because there is so much more work to be done! While driving down to Tampa, Florida (longest drive of my life) I had an idea to turn my trip into an economics lesson. This would be a great way to get students really engaged about how to manage money and plan for certain things! I remember doing this in 7th grade. We had to plan a trip to Alaska after we were given a certain budget. I remember being so invested in this project because it made it so much fun! I also tried to convince my parents that a trip to Alaska would be amazing but alas I failed (my mom is a beach person and convincing her to go anywhere other than a beach is near impossible).
So I began looking up resources that I could use to turn this idea into a reality. The first one I came across was for grades 6-8 from Scholastic. Another great resource that I found was Money Instructor. It had a lesson on planning for a vacation but also many other lessons to show how to properly save money. Since I am traveling to Disney World, I think that would be amazing vacation to turn into a lesson! This would also make it fun for 4th and 5th grade students. Maybe they can have more success than I did in convincing their parents to go on vacation!

Comments